All that is solid melts into air

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 21:51:07 PST 2001

>Was it ever solid in the first place?
>
>If I remember correctly, the Survey of Consumer Finances estimates
>that the richest 10% of households owns something like 85-90% of all
>publicly traded stock. If 49 million households own some stock,
>which would amount to about of all households, then the majority
>of these households couldn't have lost much since they didn't
>have much. (I'm always dubious about the spread of stock
>ownership but thats another issue). So it would seem that
>the recently minted and trust fund trash took most of the
>hit. Or the pension funds? Actually, does a loss like
>this have any significant impact?
>
>Dennis Breslin

Depends on whether you consider the Great Depression "significant." Perhaps I exaggerate the potential downside, but the risk that the stock market collapse will fuel a downward spiral in consumer sentiment is enormous. The era of Reagan-Clinton was hellbent on recreating the "glory" days of unfettered capitalism and was wildly successful at recreating the dynamics needed for traditional booms and busts. Well, we've had our boom.