Hitchens on American liberalism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:18:15 PST 2001

[The following is from Feed, an excerpt from an interview with Christopher Hitchens regarding his series in Harper's documenting Henry Kissinger's record as a war criminal.]

Hitchens: ... What I've been doing over the last ten years or so is basically trying to show that American liberalism has become extremely decayed if not corrupt. They've had to swallow so much bit by bit about Clinton that they of course had no choice but to try and change the subject.

Feed: I think that confuses a lot of people who follow American politics. They don't know what to make of someone who attacks Bill Clinton and attacks people on the right.

Hitchens: You might say that Kissinger is an attack on the right, but that wouldn't quite be right, because a lot of conservatives have always disliked and distrusted him for good reasons. And the second thing is that when I go out of my way to try and show what the implications are -- if what I say about Kissinger is true -- I say that the people who have to feel most embarrassed are the American press and the American human rights community for deliberately ignoring this or for shielding themselves from its implications. So, again, this is an attack on the reigning liberal culture. They're the ones who have actually let him off and flattered him.

[Full text: http://www.feedmag.com/templates/default.php3?a_id=1637]

Carl