BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 3 00:17:42 PST 2001

Ian says:

>This assumes that there is such a "thing" as a correct theory of racism.

Labor of understanding the nature of racism better must of necessity involve pointing out & refuting untruths about racism, no? Are you of an opinion that we do not have to make efforts to understand racism better?

>When
>was the last time you saw an article or book saying "hey whitey, racism gives
>you a great wage premium so hate African Americans, Mexicans, Latinos, the
>Chinese etc."?

No one is so simple-minded, but the existence of a large number of leftists telling white workers that they benefit from racism is likely to (a) make many white workers more reluctant to fight against racism than otherwise & (b) make the Left unattractive to more white workers than otherwise. Now, if it were really true that white workers actually benefited from racism, then we must accept it (as Gar noted) & make a mainly ethical appeal to white workers, perhaps by asking them to "renounce the benefit of racism." However, since it is *not true* that white workers actually benefit from racism, then our strategy changes from a mainly ethical appeal to an attempt at political education in the process of class struggles, the political education that seeks to bring about a realization that racism is not in the real interest of white workers. See the difference that theory makes in practice?

>Every hour we spend asking how it got this bad is an hour we don't ask how to
>stop the madness.

Why? Stopping "the madness," I believe, takes understanding "the madness."

Yoshie