BK on Identity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 3 11:47:53 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I think white workers benefit from racism _neither in the short nor
>in the long run_, for they don't become less exploited by capital by
>practicing racism.

How many workers *feel* this systemic exploitation? They may have a gripe about the boss, or wish they could pay the kid's orthodontist bills more easily, but you're assuming a sophisticated political economy analysis that right now only left-wing intellectuals can articulate. But even among those who might feel it, without a possible utopia to imagine as an alternative, most probably view it as a fact of nature.

Doug