BK on Identity

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:01:16 PST 2001

Yoshie is not wrong to pose the question of whether racism is economically rational fot the workers. That is not the only question. Ian is right to remark on nonrational psychopathological bases. But it matters whether these are reinforced or opposed by group economic interestss. If racism is economically rational for workers, it will be harder to dislodge. If it is economically irrational, that gives us a wedge to crack the irrational psychopathologies. As the the latter, do people know Winthrop Jordan's White over Black, on the irrational racist origins of slavery? --jks