BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 3 08:35:39 PST 2001

>Yoshie is not wrong to pose the question of whether racism is
>economically rational fot the workers. That is not the only
>question. Ian is right to remark on nonrational psychopathological
>bases. But it matters whether these are reinforced or opposed by
>group economic interestss. If racism is economically rational for
>workers, it will be harder to dislodge. If it is economically
>irrational, that gives us a wedge to crack the irrational
>psychopathologies. As the the latter, do people know Winthrop
>Jordan's White over Black, on the irrational racist origins of
>slavery? --jks

Setting aside Winthrop Jordan for the moment, the question I asked concerning working-class racism can be also asked with regard to protectionism in general, I think.

Do workers in a rich industrialized nation like the USA gain _increases in real wages & social programs that outpace rises in productivity_ by practicing more protectionism _even in the very short term_? Note that I am not asking whether they gain increases in nominal wages (which may be lagging behind inflation and/or rises in productivity).

Doug pooh-poohs protectionist critics of NAFTA, etc. who say that free trade agreements have had a negative impact upon American workers at the same time as agreeing with Boushey that her "findings provide empirical support for the argument that it is in the interest of whites and males to maintain their employment privilege because it sustains their higher earnings." It is logical to assert both at the same time?

Yoshie

P.S. I'm cc'ing this to my favorite social scientists, with a view toward getting reinforcements. :-)