BK on Identity

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Mar 3 16:41:40 PST 2001

At 04:08 PM 3/3/01 -0800, Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

>I guess my question at this point is how do we get rationality on a
>statistical
>level when, if what I recounted above is typical of how racism plays out at a
>firm level, the behavioral dynamics that are actually generative of the
>data are
>themselves irrational?

it's also, as someone else already mentioned, occupational segregation. that is a FAR bigger problem, in my view.

Occ. w/ the Highest Concentration by Race/Ethnicity/Gender

Black Women: social workers ; postal clerks ; dietitians ; child care workers and teacher's aides ; private household cooks and cleaners ; nursing aides, orderlies, attendants

Black Men: Vehicle washers and equipment cleaners ; bus drivers ; concrete and terrazzo workers ; guards, sheriffs, bailiffs and other law enforcement

Latinas: private household cleaners and servants ; childcare workers ; janitors and cleaners ; health service occupations ; sewing machine operators ; graders and sorters

Latinos: janitors and cleaners ; construction trades ; machine operators and tenders ; cooks ; drivers sales workers ; handlers, laborers and helpers ; roofers ; groundskeepers, gardeners, farm and ag workers

Asian women: Marine life workers ; electrical assemblers ; dressmakers launderers

Asian Men Physicians, engineers ; professors ; technicians ; baggage porters ; cooks ; launderers ; longshore equipment operators

Native American women: Welfare aides ; childcare workers ; teachers aides ; forestry (except logging)

Native American men: marine life workers ; hunters ; forestry (except logging) ; fishers

White women: physical therapists ; dental hygienists ; secretaries and stenographers ; bookkeepers, accounting and auditing clerks

White men: Marketing, advertising and public relations managers ; engineers, architects, and surveyors ; dentists ; firefighters ; construction supervisors ; tool and die makers