Hey Yoshie

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Sun Mar 4 21:17:37 PST 2001

At 07:12 PM 3/4/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Did you make the Chomsky gig today in Toledo? Nice crowd. Noam brought
>everybody down, as he tends to do. Also liked his subtle critique of the
>audience, i.e., the responsibility to stop the bloodshed in the Middle East
>is on *us* and what are we doing? Nothing. No mass movement to arrest
>US/Israeli aggression, even though poll after poll shows that the American
>public is generally sympathetic to a Palestinian state (whatever that would
>be). Can we look ourselves in the mirror?
>
>DP

I was there and I think Chomsky's words were most distressing for those in the room. No, I don't think we can look ourselves in the mirror. Our economic sanctions against Iraq ravaged the Iraqi children, but we and the media were all silent. Even when media coverage of Middle East devastation did become major news items, such as Saddam's annihilation of the Kurds which was 7 times Kosovo, as Chomsky frequently said this evening, three words were always missing from these reports -- the tragedies occurred "with our support." Shame on us!

Diane -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010305/82ca9990/attachment.htm>