farewell to academe

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Mar 4 22:39:26 PST 2001

>Consider
>that I have a student in a seminar on Marx who wrote that the "Communist
>Manifesto" is a novel. In my introductory class, a student wrote "The
>Unighted States." Another wrote that a good that is not "inferior" (one
>for which, other things equal, as income rises, purchases fall) is
>"ferior." Still another asked seriously whether it was "demand and
>supply" or "supply and demand." In the seminar, after I had explained
>Marx's concept of the value of labor power (its value equals the value
>of those consumption goods necessary for the worker to continue working
>and insure that the worker's children grow up to become workers), I
>asked the class what Marx says is the minimum value of labor power. A
>student awoke from a dead sleep (this in a class of ten, all sitting
>around a seminar table) and blurted out "$5.15!!

At least he or she knew what the minimum wage was...

The facts that education happens when the moment is right for the students--not when it is convenient for professors--and that often school-time is not the right moment for students make teaching heartbreaking, yes. And students waste--from our perspective, at least--a lot of their college years. For someone who has done none of the reading, to claim that the Manifesto is a novel seems a not unreasonable guess. And I know that I still confuse there/their, principal/principle, and great/grate. So I can forgive a "Unighted States."

But don't exaggerate. Someone who hasn't spent a huge amount of time reading microeconomics wouldn't know that the opposite of "inferior good" is "normal good." They might think of incomplete, inopportune, inattentive, inapplicable, insane, and--naturally and intelligently--generalize and go from "inferior" to "ferior". And the reasons for the collapse of the left in the late 20th century--the "forward march of labour halted," as Hobsbawm put it--are deep and complex, and are reflected in rather than springing from the academe.

But Yosemite is absolutely glorious.