Simple question on sanctions

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 07:35:31 PST 2001

No, I think that the key ingredient is whether one thinks that Western imperialism is a force for good or not.

Tending to be a little sceptical of that proposition, I do not think that sanctions imposed by Western governments should play any part in the resources of the left.

Incidentally, there is no shortage of Western stooges to front-up demands for sanctions against Iraq. Furthermore, Saddam's regime is without doubt a disaster for the Iraqi people. That said, I see no positive role for those in the West to play supporting the British and US campaign to unseat Saddam.

In message <200011300610.IAA31027 at brain.sn.apc.org>, Patrick Bond <pbond at wn.apc.org> writes

>Doesn't have to be, unless you're ideologically predisposed to
>pampering Bad Nationalist regimes, Jim. The key ingredient is that
>the African National Congress, Pan Africanist Congress and United
>Democratic Front all called for sanctions. Who in Iraq is calling for
>sanctions? Case closed.

-- James Heartfield