BK on Identity

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Mar 6 11:15:36 PST 2001

At 01:47 PM 3/6/01 -0500, Charles Brown wrote:
>(((((((((
>
>CB: If you can find some like minded people locally, thinking about it
>together might help with the problem, and might make the frustration more
>bearable. However, I don't know that I have special skills in overcoming
>the brainwashing dished out by the monopoly media/education system for
>about the last 20 years.
>
>What are the people you talk to saying as a response to what you say ?

firstly, i encounter this on lists mainly. the people i encounter, here, are black, mostly. although that doesn't mean anything b/c my neighbor denies that there is any such things as driving while black. secondly, lbo-talk is where i find like-minded people -- at least more lefty minded than most people around here. i didn't think you had special skills per se, only that we often talk about racism and you mentioned educating people, so i was asking. that's it.

they say the typical things--as you can imagine.

yes, i'm frustrated because trying to talk about structural oppression is like banging your head against the wall and i see the same problems on LBO -- people are much more interested in locating racism solely in the individual, etc. the whole B&K on identity thread was pretty clear evidence of that, to me.

kelley