Despair, Burnout and Rome

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Wed Mar 7 17:33:36 PST 2001

Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

[snip]

<< Perhaps the most surprising thing about this thread is the number of teachers who seem, at some level, to hate their students. I think there is only one thing to be said to them: get anohter job.

I read it as just burnout. You shoulda heard me cursing managers and computer programming. BTW when I was in school in the late 50s and early 60s, I heard the same thing from the older professors, and we had the same dumb students too.

I seem to recall reading in Hobsbawm that a young Hungarian (in the 50s) had no idea who Karl Marx was. I forget whom he confounded Marx with, but it was funny.

<< I swear. Unless I quit this list soon, I'm going to wind up somewhere to the right of the Cato Institute.

Egads! Over a case of burnout? Don't do it, Brad!

-- John K. Taber