Ultimate Taliban lunacy

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 08:44:54 PST 2001

It's equally wrong to take and carefully preserve something, making it available to all, as to destroy it? I don't understand. Btw, if the Brits had not taken and kept the Elgin Marbles, they would have melted from the pollution, like the rest of the Parthenon. So while insensitive and imperialist, it was a good thing that they did it. Now that the Greeks would probably take care of the things, the Brits should probably give them back, but I can't be sorry that that they kept them. Besides, what is the claim of the modern Greeks on the the Marbles? There was no "Greek nation" when the Marbles were carved, and the modern Athenians probably have about as much of a connection with the Greeks of the Age of Pericles as I do with the Hebrews of the era of King David.

Imperialistically and insensitively yours,

jks