Ultimate Taliban lunacy

McNally, David J. (LNG-MBC) David.J.McNally at bender.com
Thu Mar 8 08:17:38 PST 2001

Appalling as the destruction of statues in Afghanistan is, I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of other instances of destruction/appropriation of religious or historical artifacts. Britain taking and hanging on to the Elgin marbles seems equally wrong, if not as irreversible, and I'm guessing that a fair number of Native American artifacts and sites have been destroyed in the US. Aren't the Taliban's actions just an extreme example of an all too common insensitivity to other cultures' values.

David.