Horowitz/Reparations for slavery

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 8 09:22:55 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Art McGee wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, and Reed, as with so many other things, is in the
>> >microscopic minority with his view. On this issue, he
>> >is ignorant, and if "whiteness" is defined by your
>> >disconnectedness from "Blackness," ala Clarence
>> >Thomas, well...
>>
>> Is "blackness" defined ideologically? Since about 90% of black
>> Americans voted for Gore, is a Gore vote part of the ideological test?
>>
>> Doug
>
>How many Vietnamese belonged to the Viet Minh in 1939? Your smartass
>ungrounded questions are escalating in banality.

And your charm gets richer with age.

Your analogical question is utterly irrelevant. McGee's statement is quite odd. It seems to define "blackness" according to some ideological test, details of which he doesn't disclose beyond support for reparations. Since Adolph Reed is skeptical about reparations, the implication is that he, like Thomas, isn't really black. But, you know, there really are some black conservatives - it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't more black conservatives than black "radicals." Still, most black Americans are Democrats, so if there's an ideological test, I'm wondering if voting for Gore is one of the questions, and if not, why not.

Doug