Fall of Rome

Thu Mar 8 13:09:02 PST 2001

>>> delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU 03/07/01 01:45PM >>>
>From: Seth Ackerman <SAckerman at FAIR.org>

> Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>> Of course not. The trope of decline and decadence is an old one. More
>> than two millennia ago Roman aristocrats complained about the times
>> and the customs: how shocking it was that children no longer
>> respected their elders, that everyone was worshipping foreign goods,
>> and that a slave girl cost more than a sword.
>.
>Yeah, and then Rome fell.
>
>Seth

Not for another 600 years (if you count the end of the Western Empire) or another 1600 years (if you count the end of the Eastern Empire).

Now I would agree that it is sad when people can't date the fall of Rome or the rise of the Han dynasty to within 500 years.

(((((((((

CB: Well, the Republic fell, and the Empire was established. Is that what you see happening in the U.S. ? The fall of the Republic and initiation of the Empire ? What are your res gestae, divi Delong ?