Still MORE leftist attacks on free speech?

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Thu Mar 8 13:11:04 PST 2001

kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote:

<< this was posted elsewhere. curious about what really went down. kelley <forwarded> http://frontpagemag.com/archives/racerelations/flynn03-07-01 .htm~Berzerk at Berkeley - --davidh ********** By Dan Flynn

FrontPageMagazine.com

[snippety snip snip snip]

It seems to me that if you say something offensive to me, I have the right to reply in kind. I don't suppose I have the right to slap you [editorial "you", nobody in particular] across the side of the head, but I can tell you to get fucked, even if that is not a brilliant rejoinder. I don't think there is a requirement for brilliance.

It looks to me like (some?) Right want a privilege of being outrageous while avoiding the consequences of outrage.

It would be a different matter if UCB denied Dan Flynn permission to speak at UCB, but that was not the case. I see a big difference between a government entity like UC suppressing hateful speech, and me, an ordinary person, expressing anger at hateful speech.

I get a little tired of the Right's self pity. Especially since there is NO doubt in my mind that it itches to use the State's power to silence any and all speech it dislikes, or even finds inconvenient.

-- John K. Taber