Exploitation (was Re: BK on Identity)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 8 15:17:29 PST 2001

>>>So there's no exploitation involved in relations of gender and
>>>race? They have nothing to do with labor and property?
>>>
>>>Doug
>>
>>What makes you ask the above two questions?
>
>Because you seem to think that race and gender don't figure in
>relations of exploitation. Maybe I'm wrong.
>
>Doug

I think you are mixing up theoretical distinctions with empirical separability. Empirically speaking, black female workers experience _interlocking oppressions_ -- not exploitation, racial oppression, & gender oppression separately. At the same time, however, exploitation is theoretically different from racial & gender oppressions which are not identical to each other either.

Yoshie