Exploitation (was Re: BK on Identity)

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Wed Mar 7 11:47:43 PST 2001

There's a distinction between a refusal and a disagreement, an error not so much analytical as social and one you and Carrol have made. Restricting the use of the term exploitation to surplus value extraction makes sense only if there is a consensus. But this thread has been about a disagreement over the territory covered by exploitation. Simiarly Carrol's salvo falls flat insofar as I can't concede that class and class relations overwhelm or more importantly theoretically negate other forms of group, dare I say it, identity or consciousness or mobilization or advantage...notwithstanding the problems inherent in such groupings.

DB