Fwd: {FP} Rep. Major Owens Wants to Hear From US

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 9 08:26:31 PST 2001

From: "Lyn Gerry" <redlyn at loop.com> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:42:14 -0500

Dear All,

As you probably already know, Congressman Major Owens made a speech on the House floor today wherein he addressed being pulled off WBAI during his Buillding Bridges interview by Utrice Leid, and also the hostile corporate takeover of Pacifica. He contextualized this within the overall problem of corporate domination of the airwaves and the lack of media serving the interests of working families. He also referred to 4 Haitian micro- radio stations in his district that had been taken off the air. (We will send out a transcript as soon as we have one for those who are unable to access audio)

He has told Concerned Friends of WBAI activists that he wants to do more to help.

He has set up a special e-mail account to receive comments about the Pacifica situation from listeners all over the country, a "taking of the national temperature" in response to his statement in Congress.

It was quite an amazing statement. He actually used the term "predators" to refer to the commercial media conglomerates that are gobbling up all the bandwidth.

I strongly urge everyone to take a moment to send an e-mail to him to express appreciation for his solidarity.

This is the address debbie.aledo.simpson at mail.house.gov

Lyn ________________________ http://www.radio4all.org http://www.radio4all.org/freepacifica

Public PGP Block: http://www.radio4all.org/pgp/

- /*This message comes via the freepac list. */