reparations & exploitation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 10 16:15:39 PST 2001

kelley wrote:

>i'm not trying to dispense with anything. i'm pointing out that
>jordan's comment was about productivity and the assumption that say,
>women may not be as committed to work as men (gee i wonder why?)
>then it just goes to show you why they are less productive then men.
>why hell, they have their minds on their kids, they take sick days
>to take care of them and then go get pregnant and stuff. oh my!
>now, there's some structural sexism going on there no?

No kidding. Wage equations try to account for this in part by including experience, which means that women who take time off to have kids will show up as having less experience. The point is that even women (or blacks) who appear equally qualified, and who are probably equally productive, get paid less than white men. You have pre-market discrimination, and within-market discrimination. I'm not denying structural sexism or racism; I'm saying that discrim happens even after all these things are accounted for. I don't know why you're getting so vehement about this.

Doug