Hillary ducks St Pat's flap

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 12 06:11:16 PST 2001

[Better late than never. Such a profile in courage!]

New York Post - March 10,2001

HILL GETS HER IRISH UPSTATE FOR ST. PAT'S DAY PARADE

By ADAM MILLER, MARIA ALVAREZ and DAN MANGAN

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is avoiding the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade gay controversy, saying she'll wear the green and march in Syracuse rather than on Fifth Avenue next week.

Clinton insisted her decision had nothing to with the perennial flap over the Manhattan parade, which bars the Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization on grounds that the group's views violate Catholic doctrine.

"I tried to work out a schedule, but unfortunately I am attending events in the morning in the city, then flying out to Syracuse and march in the St. Patrick parade there," Clinton said yesterday. Syracuse's parade does not bar gay groups.

She said she wanted to make appearances in New York City and upstate on St. Patrick's Day. Clinton will go to a breakfast or two and Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral next Saturday before flying north.

"I'm trying to demonstrate my support and respect for the great traditions of Irish-Americans," Clinton told reporters in Manhattan.

Clinton said it wasn't because gays are being banned again this year from the Ancient Order of Hibernians' parade on Fifth Avenue that she was skipping the event.

"I marched last year, and I was proud to march last year," she said.

Gays - who were miffed at their political ally when she participated in last year's parade - were thrilled she's marching elsewhere this season.

"I'm happy that she's not marching in the parade. I hope that she will continue to decide not to march based on the policy of exclusion practiced by the Manhattan parade," said state Sen. Thomas Duane, (D-Manhattan) who was among more than 70 people arrested last year protesting the gay ban.

Duane said he "clearly expressed my disappointment" to Clinton's staff after she said she would miss the St. Patrick's parade in Queens - which doesn't bar gay groups - but left open the possibility she would march in Manhattan.

"We would expect that Hillary would not march in the Manhattan parade until such time as it becomes an inclusive parade," said ILGO spokeswoman Ann Duggan.

In addition to Clinton, Democrats including Sen. Charles Schumer and mayoral hopefuls Mark Green, Fernando Ferrer and Alan Hevesi are skipping the parade.

"We could care less if Hillary Clinton marches or not," said parade chairman John Dunleavy. "We didn't invite her to march anyway. We have enough politicians marching in the parade. Mayor Giuliani will be there and so will Gov. Pataki."

"Let her go up there," Dunleavy said of Syracuse. "We don't care. She'll be missing the biggest and most important parade in the world."