Hillary ducks St Pat's flap

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Mar 12 06:43:20 PST 2001

At 09:11 AM 3/12/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>[Better late than never. Such a profile in courage!]
>
>New York Post - March 10,2001
>
>HILL GETS HER IRISH UPSTATE FOR ST. PAT'S DAY PARADE
>
>By ADAM MILLER, MARIA ALVAREZ and DAN MANGAN
>
>Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is avoiding the annual St. Patrick's Day
>Parade gay controversy, saying she'll wear the green and march in Syracuse
>rather than on Fifth Avenue next week.

of course one would march in syracuse. she will get to attend the stone thrower's stoning. we have the world's only upside down traffic light. not far away is a statue of a family "stoning" a traffic light. st paddy's is the yearly commemoration of irish rebellion against the city. each time the city installed a traffic light, the irish upended it so the green light was on top. when the light was righted by the city, they started stoning them. today, 1000s of people get loaded on st. paddy's. everyone hits the streets at midnight or somesuch and walks to the main drag in the irish district. some incredibly drunk guys--descendents of the family commemorated in the statue--perform some ceremony. then there is a moment of silence. everyone weaves and tries to maintain an upright position.. i mean it's so crowded, that as soon as one drunk reveler starts to tip, they can't help but bumping into someone else who easily loses her balance and on and on. hilarious.

kelley, who misses the blarney stone pub where i once got up for being gay!