reparations & exploitation

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Mon Mar 12 23:46:33 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 06:13:14PM +0000, Carl Remick wrote:
> >Sure, but how big the incentives should be is an empirical question in
> >part.
> >Rawls suggests that inequalities of income are justified if they improve
> >the
> >well being of the least well off. Would you consider it a reason to
> >licence
> >greater differentials if experience showed that allowing, say, 100%
> >differentials made a significant positive difference to those on the
> >bottom?
> >--jks
>
> Probably not. In any event, why not give overachievers high-visibility
> praise, etc., instead of financial rewards?

'Free' software seems to sometimes use 'cultural capital' - i.e. higher prestige for good coders - rather than money as payment. This might even be within a particular project - Nick Ing Simmons is well known and appreciated in the perl development community, but pretty much unknown outside of that sphere.

However, does 'payment' in 'cultural capital' not eventually lead to inequality - can 'high-visibility praise' not be traded for political clout?

I personally tend to be suspicious of big pay differentials as incentives - also, in a world where money is not convertible into capital (i.e. there's no inheritence, you don't have wage labour, etc.), will pay differentials be effective? I'm just trying to point out, however, that even absent pay differentials, you might have a problem of creeping inequality in a future society.

But then again, in a future society, everyone will understand the negation of the negation. :)

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844 OpenPGP: 1024D/0517502B : DE5B 6EAA 28AC 57F7 58EF 9295 6A26 6A92 0517 502B