reparations & exploitation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 13:22:42 PST 2001

I think we have to distinguish, with Rawls, between the basic structure of society, and particular applications, such as lawyers. If we are talking about specific applications, it's very ad hoc--one can't even talk about lawyers in general. Though similar things apply here as elsewhere: one would want lawyers who do work that benefits society but which would not be compensated by the mareket to be subsidized; lawyers who do very dull but important work, e.g., overseeing bond issues, should get something extra if we need to draw people into that line of work. As for productivity and quality, I don't have a rule, but I will tewll you that it amazes me that a lot of the lawyers who file papers with us can get anyone to pay them at all.

As for the basic structure, that's handled at the legislative level in setting tax rates, basic income or welfare and social security payments, and the like. If we acknowledge that there is social utility in terms of incentives both to work harder and to do the sort of work we want people to do as a resulr of differential pay, the lesgislature should make guesses about how much of a differential is necessary to benefit everyone, if that is the principle it adopts, set a floor with welfare or basic income or negative income tax, and a ceiling with a progressive tax. Beyond that, let the market and worker managed cooperatives decide. The proof that the allowed inequalities benefit (or do not benefit) everyone will emerge from experience.

But I don't think the govcernment should micromanage compensation, even by decreeing that it should be equal. That would be unwise and unenforceable, as a moment's thought will show. It would also destroy desirable incentive effects.

--jks