Balancing the Japanese economy down

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Mar 13 13:42:22 PST 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Brad Mayer wrote:

> But my general perception should be correct: Japan has the least room to
> maneuver of the G7. Japan is the weak link of the G7 now.

It's the weak link of neoliberalism, for sure. Japan's problem is, it doesn't have an EU-style superstate to funnel capital to its neighbors. East Asia is sort of bobbing gently in the slipstream of the mighty Starship Europa, which finally has its act together and will undoubtedly cut interest rates one of these days to give its US neocolony a lift. Japan these days sort of reminds me of Shinji Ikari at the conclusion of "Evangelion"; all the angels have been defeated, but he's still terribly unhappy, and has to wrestle with the toughest opponent of all -- himself. Director Hideaki Anno's own conclusion is... well, I won't reveal any secrets here.

-- Dennis