reparations & exploitation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 22:31:47 PST 2001

>From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. that
>seems sophistical to you? I am a poor excuse for a Marxist, but I'll take
>Maex to Bellamy any day. --jks

IMO, when you start refining Marx's "from each/to each" formulation so that it's something other than a fortune-cookie remark, you wind up with Bellamy.

The one area where individuals have wildly varying *true* needs is health care, and that should be treated as a special case to ensure that no one's income is eaten up by medical costs. Apart from that, why not give everyone the exact same compensation? Each person would be assured of adequate food, clothing and shelter, then have enough left over to indulge personal interests -- perhaps not on a scale they might like to, but I don't consider that a "need."