Fruitcase

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Mar 14 02:11:57 PST 2001

On Tue Mar 13 2001, Brad DeLong wrote:

> > Is there any reason why Chiquita still punches so far above its
> > weight? It's as if our foreign policy were still being run by
> > United Fruit.]

> Is there any reason why Europe should be shafting Western Hemisphere
> banana producers?

So are you saying the US government favors Chiquita over Dole and Del Monte, to what appears to be its own detriment, because Chiquita's cause is so just?

(Just as a nitpick, the EU protects some Western Hemisphere producers in the Carribbean, no? I thought they were in fact the most banana-dependent (and inefficient) economies, who had the most to lose if if Chiquita wins.)

Michael