Buying opportunity

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 14 10:41:01 PST 2001

Yep, the falling profit rate is in the drivers' seat, as could be predicted. On this note, any comments on the Jerome Levy Economics Institute http://www.levy.org/ , in particular Wynne Godley (latest is "Fiscal Policy To the Rescue). Godly did what I thought was an excellent study, "Seven Unsustainable Processes: Medium-Term Prospects and Policies for the United States and the World, Special Report, 1999." Now the Levy Institute is big on tax cuts, indeed they advocate cuts several times larger than Bush wants.

And compare this to the current Economist issue: Someone posted the downloadable cover piece here recently. It's full of the usual nonsense, but what is not downloadable is the actual indepth article, "What a peculiar cycle", under "Americas' Economy". It eerily mirrors Godley, in fact their "US private sector net saving" graph is a flipped over mirror of Godleys' - maybe they're ripping the story off from him. One choice quote:

(Is the "new economy" really new?)

"One observer who demands attention thinks not. Larry Summers, who has just retired as Americas' Treasury secretary, has recently argued that Americas' current cycle is fundamentally different from its postwar predecessors - though not because it is "new". He argues that it has more in common with economic cycles as they worked before the second world war - or even, wait for it, with Japans' during the late 1980's. This is a comparison he thought it unwise to draw while still in office. Mr. Summers still hopes that a recession will be avoided in America. But if he is right about how things work, predictions based on orthodox business cycle calculations are of little use."

In other words, a huge overinvestment in productive capacity unconnected with actual (effective?) demand. Supply side run amok. I suppose we should expect Says' Law to be refuted in practice - once again.

-Brad Mayer

-Brad Mayer