legitimacy

DMJ djenning at subdimension.com
Wed Mar 14 14:06:31 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The NY Times lead story on their poll about W has a teaser passage:
>
> "Another trouble spot for Mr. Bush is that there are deep and
> lingering resentments among black Americans toward his election."

Blacks are so handy. With 40% of poll respondants saying that Bush did not win legitimately, and another 7% unwilling to say, one may think that we have a real legitimacy crisis. Never fear, though. Just point out the opinions of blacks, and then call them "resentments", and what started as a coup ends up as (yet another) mark of deviancy of an officially designated deviant population. The problem is not the laugability of our so-called democracy but rather the subjective state of "them". Factor out "their" resentments, and everything looks nice and stable.

-d

David Jennings Colombia Support Network Athens (Ga) | SOA Watch Athens (Ga) http://www.colombiasupport.net | http://www.soaw.org

My PGP key can be located at: http://keyserver.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&exact=off&search=0x66B36F01

** Use this address (djenning at subdimension.com) ** ** for non-work related correspondence **