men more aggressive, women more emotional...

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 14 16:26:17 PST 2001

"It appears to me that it is not in the interest of "men" to be "male." :-)

Yoshie"

No, no. Think about it. If you're a man, you get to have a woman for your mate; if you're a woman, you get to have beauty, intelligence, and creativity. Both sides win. (Advance apologies for the hetero blinders of the preceding.)

Also, thinking about your comment:

"The idea that "women" are categorically better-looking than "men" must be a relatively new one in the long history of sexism (to say nothing of a longer history of patriarchy). That is probably because heterosexism is one of the newest oppressions -- born only in the late nineteenth century, according to Jonathan Ned Katz -- in the history of class societies in the world."

Isn't it funny how the slogan "black is beautiful" was supposed to be liberating to the Afro-American population forty years ago; but its counterpart "women are beautiful" is seen today as a form of oppression? Oh Sappho, where are you now that we need you?

Joanna

P.S. What's heterosexism? Is it the same thing as homophobia?