The Problems of Functionalism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 14 17:38:18 PST 2001

Leo & Justin, when it comes to personal insults, with deadly results, Andrei Vyshinsky (who started out a Menshevik, must have thought he really needed to show his loyalty to Uncle Joe by his over the top denunciamentos) was the best. Neither of you, come close to Andrei or E. Hoxha, thank goodness. See this great website, The Flowers of Vyshinsky. http://www.tiac.net/users/hcunn/rus/insults-vysh.html

As for William Z. Foster's rhetorical style see a recent biographical study by Edward Johanningsmeier_Forging American Communism_James Barrett, who also wrote a book on the UAW and the CPUSA, if memory serves, also has an even newer book on Foster. Also,see the autobiography of Dorothy Healey and the work by ex-Daily Worker writer, Joseph Starobin_American Communism in Crisis:1943-1957_ Michael Pugliese, Trotskyite Hyena P.S. http://www.bigbridge.org/dmeltzer2.htm (One of the hits on google for CPUSA and UAW. Poem by David Meltzer mentions Leo Huberman and Paul Sweezy! Betcha Charles Olson or Louis Zukofsky, never did.) Wonder if David knows of Richard Meltzer? _A Whore Just like the Rest: The Music Writings of Richard Meltzer_ I miss Lester Bangs.In homage I'll drink some Romular cough syrup now. The whole bottle.