The Problems of Functionalism

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 00:25:58 PST 2001

--- Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> wrote: > Leo & Justin, when it comes to personal insults,
> with deadly results,
> Andrei Vyshinsky (who started out a Menshevik, must
> have thought he really
> needed to show his loyalty to Uncle Joe by his over
> the top denunciamentos)
> was the best.

Best in the Northern Hemisphere, perhaps, but as in so many other sporting areas, best in the Northern Hemisphere doesn't count too much when you come to take on the Aussies. The master of political invective, IMO, was Paul Keating, lovingly archived at

http://www.webcity.com.au/keating/

My favourites:

"I was implying that the Honorable Member for Wentworth was like a lizard on a rock - alive, but looking dead. "

"I suppose that the Honourable Gentleman's hair, like his intellect, will recede into th darkness."

"The Leader of the Opposition is more to be pitied than despised, the poor old thing. The Liberal Party ought to put him down like a faithful dog because he is of no use to it and of no use to the nation."

On Fund Managers:

"It must get right up their nose, quaffing down the red wine at these fashionable eateries in Bent Street and Collins Street, with the Prime Minister calling them donkeys - but donkeys they are."

the man was a genius.

dd

===== "Imagine the Duchess's feelings You could have pierced her with swords To find her youngest son liked Lenin And sold the Daily Worker near the House of Lords" -- Noel Coward