The Problems of Functionalism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:45:32 PST 2001

> Leo & Justin, when it comes to personal insults, with deadly results,
>Andrei Vyshinsky (who started out a Menshevik, must have thought he really
>needed to show his loyalty to Uncle Joe by his over the top denunciamentos)
>was the best. Neither of you, come close to Andrei or E. Hoxha, thank
>goodness. See this great website, The Flowers of Vyshinsky.
>http://www.tiac.net/users/hcunn/rus/insults-vysh.html

One of my favorite exchanges from thr transcript of the Bukharin Trial, from memory (as I am too lazy to go into the next room and get the book off the shelf):

Vyshinsky: What about THIS!?? (Doesn't matter what, really)

Bukharin: "This" is the most difficult word in Hegel's philosophy.

from Vyshinsky's summation:

The mad dogs, the wreckers, throw Hegel in the face of the State like ground glass!

Bukharin retained a certain dignity and sense of humor about the whole ghastly and macabre proceeding.

--jks