horowitz/reparations debate

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 21:45:45 PST 2001

from free republic...

<<Horowitz Needs SF Bay Area Support on Thurs: Be a Part of a Hot Story Activism/Chapters Announcement Posted on 03/13/2001 23:44:55 PST by Mediaqueen

David Horowitz is under fire and needs the SF Bay Area's help and support. Common Sense Activism has come out of retirement (again!) to ask for as many people as possible to take a stand for his right of free speech on, of all places, a college campus. (Thursday, as early as 6 pm for newscast cameras--event at 8). Horowitz brings an essential element to our cause: he's someone who was a leader on the left; he's someone who can articulate how left-wing ideas have harmed everyone in our society ...and he is an impressive role model for those who may possess enough critical thinking skills to leave the liberal plantation.

Horowitz is a dangerous man to left-wing extremists. That's why Berkeley students in charge of the campus paper have apologized for running his"common sense" issue ads, and why students confiscated newspapers carrying those ads. Those who employed these Nazi-like tactics have dared to insinuate Horowitz is a racist when as a supporter of equal rights in the 60s, he was one of the few whites allowed within the ranks of the Black Panthers. This is a hot story, and the speech will most likely be covered by the media. Will we allow the left-wing spin to dominate the coverage once again? The note from Horowitz's organization is below, followed by suggestions/directions:

I'm sure you've heard by now of the Berkeley controversy with David's ad on reparations...

Well, he has decided to speak at Berkeley this Thursday, March 15 on reparations and free speech..

We have gotten considerable security for him, and this is likely going to be a raucous event. We need our people there to support him. Can you please help organize people to show up?

Details are as follows:

"Reparations and Free Speech at Berkeley"

UC-Berkeley

Chan Shun Auditorium 2050 Valley Life Science Building

March 15, 2001

8:00PM (my note.... try to get there early...starting at 6!)

Contact: Kelso Barnett, 510-549-0980

Sponsored by the Berkeley College Republicans and The California Patriot

My postscript:

I suggest that those who want to support David be prepared to either attend the speech (arrive early), or create a peaceful demonstration outside the event for Horowitz' right to take a very reasonable position against reparations for slavery. (arrive early) We need as many young people as possible, as many UC Berkeley alumni as possible, and we particularly need African Americans who agree with David that reparations would be divisive rather than healing. Our message: Stop the Gestapo Tactics: Give Horowitz His Say ... or... Is free speech only for left-wing extremists?

Everyone: Be available for the media as a "common sense" activist and be ready with a 7-second soundbite as to "why you're there." While the other side may be raucous, we should not be baited into argument with them. I'm trying to get a sitter to be able to attend (hubbie is out of town). If you missed the opportunity to get out there to say "Emporer Clinton has no clothes".... or "stop the recounts".... then here is your chance to speak out. If you've already done your fair share....thank you... and we call on you yet again to help with your expertise on herding our side together and "playing to the cameras" outside the event ....We also need a major show of support for Horowitz inside. Let's take a public stand in support of an intelligent and courageous man - David Horowitz.

A map of the campus can be found at www.berkeley.edu/map/maps/large_map.html The Valley Life Sciences building looks near the west side of campus. A nearby parking garage (Parking Structure U) is located at Oxford St. and Addison Street.

I'm posting this at an unGodly hour.... if anyone with a sleeping disorder sees this...and can help bump it tomorrow.... I would appreciate it! Thank you....