bankruptcy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 16 08:09:38 PST 2001

Michael McIntyre wrote:

>Do y'all remember Nathan's confident prediction that Senate
>Democrats wouldn't roll over on the bankruptcy bill? Certainly no
>veto-proof majority there, said he, intimating that a filibuster
>might even be in the offing. So driving in this morning what do I
>hear? The bill passes with 83 votes. Yup, two-thirds of the Senate
>Dems cozied up to the FIRE. Just when I think that I'm nothing but a
>cynical middle-aged commie, Nathan's pals show me that I'm not
>nearly jaded enough. Damn, even gloating isn't fun any more.

In the House, Nydia Valasquez - who represents a poor neighborhood of Brooklyn and who's a member of the Progressive Caucus and who got $19k from the finance industry in the latest election cycle - voted yes.

The Senatorial scroll of shame (I love it that the former co-chair of Goldman Sachs voted no):

DEMOCRATS YES

Akaka, Hawaii; Baucus, Mont.; Bayh, Ind.; Biden, Del.; Bingaman, N.M.; Breaux, La.; Byrd, W.Va.; Cantwell, Wash.; Carnahan, Mo.; Carper, Del.; Cleland, Ga.; Clinton, N.Y.; Conrad, N.D.; Daschle, S.D.; Dorgan, N.D.; Edwards, N.C.; Feinstein, Calif.; Graham, Fla.; Hollings, S.C.; Inouye, Hawaii; Johnson, S.D.; Kohl, Wis.; Landrieu, La.; Leahy, Vt.; Levin, Mich.; Lieberman, Conn.; Lincoln, Ark.; Mikulski, Md.; Miller, Ga.; Murray, Wash.; Nelson, Neb.; Reid, Nev.; Schumer, N.Y.; Stabenow, Mich.; Torricelli, N.J.; Wyden, Ore.

DEMOCRATS NO

Corzine, N.J.; Dayton, Minn.; Dodd, Conn.; Durbin, Ill.; Feingold, Wis.; Harkin, Iowa; Kennedy, Mass.; Kerry, Mass.; Nelson, Fla.; Reed, R.I.; Rockefeller, W.Va.; Sarbanes, Md.; Wellstone, Minn.

DEMOCRATS NOT VOTING

Boxer, Calif.

REPUBLICANS YES

Allard, Colo.; Allen, Va.; Bennett, Utah; Bond, Mo.; Bunning, Ky.; Burns, Mont.; Campbell, Colo.; Chafee, R.I.; Cochran, Miss.; Collins, Me.; Craig, Idaho; Crapo, Idaho; DeWine, Ohio; Domenici, N.M.; Ensign, Nev.; Enzi, Wyo.; Frist, Tenn.; Gramm, Tex.; Grassley, Iowa; Gregg, N.H.; Hagel, Neb.; Hatch, Utah; Helms, N.C.; Hutchinson, Ark.; Inhofe, Okla.; Jeffords, Vt.; Kyl, Ariz.; Lott, Miss.; Lugar, Ind.; McCain, Ariz.; McConnell, Ky.; Murkowski, Alaska; Nickles, Okla.; Roberts, Kan.; Santorum, Pa.; Sessions, Ala.; Shelby, Ala.; Smith, N.H.; Smith, Ore.; Snowe, Me;. Specter, Pa.; Stevens, Alaska; Thomas, Wyo.; Thompson, Tenn.; Thurmond, S.C.; Voinovich, Ohio; Warner, Va.

REPUBLICANS NO

Brownback, Kan.; Hutchison, Tex.

REPUBLICANS NOT VOTING

Fitzgerald, Ill.