berkeley/Horowitz

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 16 11:29:02 PST 2001

Kinda pressed for time right now, so I'll just cut and paste what I sent to Tim Wohlforth last night. One of the days, I'll manage to meet you in person, Christine Petersen. To all, I;m a skinny tall guy, usually with a rolled up NYT and a back issue of The Nation in my back pocket. (No cell phone, palm pilot [hey that "Dope Dealer" game sounds like fun though!], but I do have an ancient laptop from '95.)Same goes for Chuck Grimes and Brad Meyer. Brad can call me a lapdog for the Democrats. ;-) Did chat with Nathan Newman on J20 on S.F. Michael Pugliese P.S. The Channel 2 live report wasn't bad. Of all the local T.V. news they actually deal with issues in a sober way. Wonder how their ratings are as good as they claim.

Just got back. Silly me forgot my wallet. No I.D. meant no admittance to get into the Life Sciences bldg. So I just talked to some of the Cal. Berkeley kids, a guy that had graduaded from Cal in '81 and was ironically musing on the "decline of liberalism" as he put it. I said from the looks and low numbers (half a dozen, I'd say. Though I betcha they'll inflate it wildly) of the freepers (www.freerepublic.com ) counter-demonstrating for Horowitz that conservatism wasn't looking that healthy either, at least the grassroots kind in the E. Bay that is. My guess on the # of Sparts was about 30. The rest of the crowd, say 200. Lots of still cameras from photojournalists, didn't see any local news video though. Figured Channel 2 News and KRON over here would've showed up. Still, I guess tune in at 10 P.M. Will be interesting to see what Horowitz writes later. He's been in high dudgeon over this. I'll pass on whatever, Catherine Petersen, sends me. She is active in PSA, which from the leaflets I saw on Sproul Plaza is the progressive/radical coalition on campus. She also posts on a list called berkeley-left at yahoogroups.com At least from the Daily Cal today, I gather there is some dissension over the high profile role of BAMN in last weeks AA demo.

-----Original Message----- From: Tim Wohlforth <timwohlforth at earthlink.net> To: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> Date: Thursday, March 15, 2001 7:11 PM Subject: Re: Fw: Real Reasons Reparations are Wrong - By Sam Francis