men more aggressive, women more emotional...

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:15:08 PST 2001

>>CB: I didn't make these claims.

>take it up with dd. he seemed to suggest you had.

that piece of blatant flamebait was All My Own Work; I thought that Charles' "black are less racist" comment was missing Kelley's point a bit, and came up with the "rhythm" thing as an example of a characteristic of black people which white people use to patronise, in the same way that men patronise women. The basketball thing was a bit more of a stretch, but I am pretty sure that Charles has said things about black music on this list which are as close to the "natural rhythm" trope as makes no difference. However, in the interests of clarity, I withdraw with apologies all things which I might have been considered to attribute to Charles.

I do, on the other hand, think that CB is wrong on the desirability of "valorising characteristics of the underprivileged". By extolling the characteristics of the underprivileged, one raises the question of, if they're so wonderful, why are they underprivileged? Which in turn invites the explanation that privileged people have *other* wonderful qualities, and the implied value judgement that these qualities are more important. So you get explanations like the 1970s soccer manager cliche, that black players have wonderful flair, and talent, but, sadly, can't cope with cold winters and don't have the strength of character to play an important part in the English league. It's a pretty obvious strategy for marginalising an underprivileged group while not appearing like a bastard, by praising them for their prowess in an unimportant area.

dd

===== "Imagine the Duchess's feelings You could have pierced her with swords To find her youngest son liked Lenin And sold the Daily Worker near the House of Lords" -- Noel Coward