Adjuncts & Janitors

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 19 22:21:12 PST 2001

The Ohio State University pays its unionized janitors, food service workers, plumbers, electricians, boiler maintenance workers, etc. in CWA Local 4501 (= workers whose strike my fellow local activists & I supported last year) health benefits, pensions, etc., whereas it doesn't pay term-employed adjuncts any of them. That's not because OSU janitors, etc. have more education than OSU adjuncts. That's because OSU janitors have had the political moxy to get unionized & fight for better wages, benefits, working conditions, etc., whereas too many TAs & adjuncts have been feckless individualists.

Perhaps, on the average, more formal education = less class consciousness? I hope that the continuing proletarianization of academic workers will change this equation.

Michael Hoover says that he's been trying to organize his colleagues for the last 15 years or so, and I was doing the same, on and off, for several years (since I became an adjunct, however, I've had no time to devote to organizing on this front). Neither of us has made much progress. I guess we'll just have to keep at it.

Yoshie