Brown students trash Horowitz

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Mar 20 05:45:44 PST 2001

> Andrew Brownstein reports that "[m]ost campus newspapers -- including
> The Harvard Crimson -- have refused to publish the ad. Another, The
> Daily Californian, at the University of California at Berkeley, ran a
> front-page apology after facing a series of vociferous protests....
> Brown...became the first Ivy League university to publish it." Since
> a newspaper is not obligated to run all ads, much less ads that
> contain false information, the editors of the campus newspaper at
> Brown could & should have refused to run the Horowitz ad, following
> the editors of other campus newspapers.
>
> Yoshie

Yes, but they didn't, as is their editorial right. So, the plucky young rebels at Brown decided to take matters into their own hands and stumbled, predictably, pitifully, into Horowitz's trap. The same thing happened at Dartmouth in the 80s, and it made martyrs of the Review's editors (stars as well: D'Souza, Ingraham, et al.). I tell you, I've seen more moronic political acts performed by Ivy Leaguers than by any other crop of students and grads. Doug excepted, of course.

DP