Brown students trash Horowitz

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 20 11:17:29 PST 2001

> > Andrew Brownstein reports that "[m]ost campus newspapers -- including
>> The Harvard Crimson -- have refused to publish the ad. Another, The
>> Daily Californian, at the University of California at Berkeley, ran a
>> front-page apology after facing a series of vociferous protests....
>> Brown...became the first Ivy League university to publish it." Since
>> a newspaper is not obligated to run all ads, much less ads that
>> contain false information, the editors of the campus newspaper at
>> Brown could & should have refused to run the Horowitz ad, following
>> the editors of other campus newspapers.
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>Yes, but they didn't, as is their editorial right. So, the plucky young
>rebels at Brown decided to take matters into their own hands and stumbled,
>predictably, pitifully, into Horowitz's trap. The same thing happened at
>Dartmouth in the 80s, and it made martyrs of the Review's editors (stars as
>well: D'Souza, Ingraham, et al.). I tell you, I've seen more moronic
>political acts performed by Ivy Leaguers than by any other crop of students
>and grads. Doug excepted, of course.
>
>DP

No one but media junkies (which most Americans -- unlike LBO-talkers -- are not) will remember the Horowitz incident, the Dartmouth affair, etc. "Playing into the hands of conservatives" doesn't seem to be worth worrying about.

According to Andrew Brownstein, "Some coalition members said the ad fit a pattern of poor coverage of minority students by The Herald. A sore point is that no black or Latino students serve on the paper's board or work on its staff." So, even before the Horowitz ad, students of color at Brown had legitimate grievances; the ad that "suggests that despite the horrors of slavery, black Americans are better off economically today that black Africans" and "calls reparations 'one more attempt to turn African-Americans into victims' and explains the 'debt blacks owe to America' for helping end the slave trade" was just the last straw, it seems.

Yoshie