song (and more songs)

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Mar 20 06:38:45 PST 2001

I have not heard the track Doug put out on Napster. I'll take his word it is bad.

However, in the spirit of promoting good music I put up about 2 dozen tracks on Napster. Most of the tracks are not available anywhere else on Napster (well, I encoded them from vinyl or CD and they are not terribly commercial bands).

The tracks can be most easily located by searching for Old MacDonalds Farm "Save Me" (CCC remix) or Billy Bragg's somewhat rare cover of the great Jam song "That's Entertainment". You can add CCC42 (me) to your hotlist to see all the tracks. This will be up continuously for a while. I will also rotate some things in and out. Right now I am motivated to support Napster as they thankfully have gotten rid of a lot of the crappy music and has a chance to become a great resource for craft-brewed music.

Also included is some original, unpublished material under the name Calm Cool Collective. Calm Cool Collective is centered around the musical contributions of myself and Steven J. Raphael (with a host of other contributions). "I've Suffered . . .", "Bad", and "Truants in Coffee Bars" form the first EP. While some of the stuff is pretty mediocre (three of the tracks on Napster are likely never to be included on any future release) I have had considerable positive feedback on my track "Truants in Coffee Bars". Your mileage may vary. Send comments on Calm Cool Collective to ccc at nodimension.com (cc'd above).

Jim

At 11:05 PM 3/18/01, you wrote:
>Media critic Mark Crispin Miller circulated a demo tape a while back, a
>folk song called "Queen of the Forest" ("say goodbye to your animal
>friends..."). I've just MP3d it, and I'll be on Napster with it for the
>next hour or so (til midnight NYC time) and then most of tomorrow, from
>about 9 to 6 NYC time, and on into the future. If this is Miller's
>positive idea of postcorporate culture, Time Warner doesn't seem quite so bad.

"In order to be a big fish in small pond, you gotta stunt the growth of a lot of fish."

--Steven J. Raphael, small fish