Current Downturn???

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Mar 21 20:47:37 PST 2001

Dennis:
>Look, buddy, I'm an academic who is unemployed, with *zero* job prospects
>despite tons of skills, a bunch of credit card bills staring me in the
>face and $86,000 of student loan debt accumulating at 8% rates of
>interest, so I really don't need a lecture about how I'm a member of some
>kind of privileged class.

Just ignore the lectures, that's what I do even though I'm not an academic. As for the credit card bills, try watching Fight Club. At the end they blow up credit card companies to the Pixies' "Where's My Mind?" Weird movie.

>Adorno had the best response to the ideology of catastrophism:
>
>"He who as an observer gets carried away with battles, the toppling of
>regimes and catastrophes, cannot gainsay this: that perhaps the
>emancipation which he as a bourgeois wishes to affirm ought to emancipate
>itself from precisely that category. Marx had this in mind: he designated
>the sphere of that artificially-produced greatness which was under
>consideration, that of politics, as ideology and as transient. The stance
>of thought in relation to happiness would be the negation of each and
>every false one." Negative Dialektik:347

Please parse. I guess the key phrase would be "carried away." I don't see any problem with keeping informed, however.

Peter