Current Downturn???

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Mar 22 04:21:55 PST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Peter K. wrote:

> academic. As for the credit card bills, try watching Fight
> Club.

Actually, that's how I got the bills -- charging up for the subtitled tapes of "Evangelion". Sort of the East Asian equivalent of FC (giant robots pounding each other, etc.). I guess I'd better default before they reinstitute debtor prisons.

Re Adorno:

> >"He who as an observer gets carried away with battles, the toppling of
> >regimes and catastrophes, cannot gainsay this: that perhaps the
> >emancipation which he as a bourgeois wishes to affirm ought to emancipate
> >itself from precisely that category.

Carried away could also be "intoxicated". It's the idea that the worse things get, the better for the revolution, something which hasn't worked well in practice. The Wall Street Bubble is a-goner, but barring riots in the streets to change things, it's us ordinary slobs who are going to pay for the bailout.

-- Dennis