Functional Explanation Again

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:28:31 PST 2001

Not so, Carrol. The claim is indeed explanatory because it excludes the "imposition" theory, that racism is fabricated by the upper classes and imposed on the lower ones for the benefit of the former. It would be more explnatory to say which deep human needs, but I have referred us to Winthrop Jordan for a good account of which ones and how in the case of anti-black racism by whites. However a claim needn't be maximally or fully expalantory to be explanatory. I can say, Your car won't work because the motor's busted (a vague explanation); that at least excludes explanations like: It's because you're trying to run on empty. --jks