Current Downturn???

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:44:01 PST 2001

If you find the "sub costs" crisis argument puzzling, you should look at Robert Brenner's account of the current crisis (since 1973) in his NLR piece a few years ago. Basically the argument is that you need to make back the value of the investment, and can't just dynamite it before you do that, but new technologies may make it impossible to do that because they can do what your old stuff did a lot cheaper. This is also one of Marx's accounts of the crisis of overproduction. --jks