Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:58:30 PST 2001

there are a number of different proposals, and I think that we need to be imaginative and also not think that there is only one way (combinations of possibilities). also, I agree with those who have expressed the opinion that reparations must be rejected it if it means in effect signing a contract that we will shut our mouths about race and social justice (there are those who are favoring reps for just this purpose--"ok, here it is, I don't want to hear another word about any of this"). in faCT, one of the reasons I am for reps is for the value of discussing the issues that the subject raises.

some of the proposals that I think are worth further consideration (some of course I support independently of reps.--reps are not a necessary argument to support these, e.g. affirmative action; also many of these I support for other segments of the population as well, free health care, for example):

1) low or no interest loans for homes, businesses 2) expanded and strengthened affirmative action 3) low or no taxes (of various kinds, for a fixed period or forever) 4) free/subsidized education/training 5) cash payments (lump or periodic) 6) government bond payments 7) free/subsidized health care 8) guaranteed jobs 9) land

etc.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com] Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 11:19 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Forstater, Mathew wrote:

>I have argued in favor of reps. on teevee twice in the last two
>weeks, once on a
>"in-depth" story on the reparations movement in the KC area on local 10 oclock
>news and once in a half hour 'debate' on the local Sunday morning news 'firing
>line' show. I also organized two seminars on reps last semester with Gary
>Dymski, one on campus and the other at the Bruce Watkins Cultural Heritage
>Center in the KC community. I have also argued for reps. in presentations on
>race, class, and health in a community mtg. sponsored by the KC and State of
>Missouri Health Depts and at a guest lecture at KU medical school,
>and again at
>a conference on public employment here at UMKC, at Black History Month events
>last year and this year, and at several other similar forums. Reps
>are part of a
>three pronged strategy to reduce Black poverty and unemployment (along with
>affirmative action and guaranteed jobs) in papers I've presented in several
>places in the last few years, etc. I am involved with the local NCOBRA
>chapter......

So how do you "operationalize" reparations?

Doug