Current Downturn???

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu Mar 22 10:23:55 PST 2001

At 12:57 PM 3/22/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>>"Accumulate, accumulate! That is the law and the prophets!" It's from
>>Capital I, I can't lay hands on it either. --jks
>
>Nope, I know that one. It's more like "March! March!," and it's
>specifically about competition.
>
>Doug

well, i just had to do this -- for mat f. !!! i'm bad!

Karl Marx WAGE-LABOR AND CAPITAL

Chapter 9

EFFECT OF CAPITALIST COMPETITION ON THE CAPITALIST CLASS,

THE MIDDLE CLASS, AND THE WORKING CLASS

[-1-] We thus see how the method of production and the means of production are constantly enlarged, revolutionized, how division of labor necessarily draws after it greater division of labor, the employment of machinery greater employment of machinery, work upon a large scale work upon a still greater scale. This is the law that continually throws capitalist production out of its old ruts and compels capital to strain ever more the productive forces of labor for the very reason that it has already strained them -- the law that grants it no respite, and constantly shouts in its ear: March! march! This is no other law than that which, within the periodical fluctuations of commerce, necessarily adjusts the price of a commodity to its cost of production.