Current Downturn???

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Mar 22 13:44:13 PST 2001

To clarify: the overinvestment is confirmed only for "high tech" products, the rest of the economy, I don't know.

True, the turnover time for this means of production is highly susceptible to shortening due to technological innovation (hence the capitalist fetish for "high tech"). However, innovation and its practical application itself is highly susceptible to a dearth of investment capital, so we should see a reduction in the effect of innovation under these same conditions (a gap in the pipeline of new producer products should appear). Since the financial press keeps saying this present situation is "unprecedented" in the post WW2 period (but I wonder), it would be interesting to detect if this happens (or explain why it didn't).

And, speaking of world war, this is exactly how an excess of producer goods was "disposed of" in the good old days. Note that the world wars occurred in pre-Keynesian effective demand times, which constantly featured periodic over accumulation of producer goods.

And consumer debts' effect on demand is the other shoe waiting to fall in the US economy. Perhaps the first domino in a fall in effective demand has keeled over with the stock market, which by itself mainly affects upper middle class demand right now.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA