Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:48:04 PST 2001

but under capitalism reparations will be
>(even in the event of a "successful" campaign) insultingly paltry &
>much of the paltry sum will be siphoned off by lawyers & (government
>& NGO) bureaucrats. Besides, reparations should be made for not just
>African-Americans but Africans in Africa & the African diaspora as
>well. On my theoretical grounds, non-black workers (including white
>working-class men in America) are also entitled to reparations,
>though to a lesser degree than blacks -- if they make a claim for
>them, that is.

Not necessarily. Congress could appropriate the money and write checks to the individuals involved. The claims process requires adminsitration, but the class action process shwos that this need not be particularly expensive. The NGOs and lawyers need not get involved. There couldn't be a real class action lawsuit for reasons I've explained, namely, slavery was legal, so there was no cause of action; and if there was, the statute of limitations is long run. The determination would have be legislative, not judicial.